About Bolivia - Summary
The most distinguishing characteristic for Bolivia in comparison to other countries is its height above sea level. It's in Bolivia where you can find various superlatives of the earth linked with the altitude of the country, e.g. "La Paz" is the highest capital of the world and the most famous Bolivian lake "Titicaca" is the highest shippable lake of the world. Even the highest mountain in Europe doesn't reach the altitude of this lake.
Thanks to the little contact to the neighbor countries, Bolivians could until today preserve their unique way of living. During three centuries of Colonial Ruling, Bolivia's individuality of architecture, language and religion has been influenced by the Spanish but the marks are less visual than in other colonial countries. The Bolivian way of life seems as though nothing has altered at all in the last few hundred years. Traditions in this country almost haven't changed during the last centuries.
People are strongly influenced by their climate protecting themselves with thick colorful clothes made of the wood of llamas. These characteristic clothes and the characteristic music of the Andes are combining perfectly with the charm of the country and add an extra value to it. In Bolivia you don't have to visit museum to understand the culture of the country because the original culture is outside in the streets and in the countryside - it is still alive. This phenomenon - a world which is still based on nature, faith and traditions makes Bolivia so exceptional and creates the special fascination for the country.
Getting to know the purity and simplicity of Bolivian people means entering a different world. You will get involved in a reality which has never existed in this way in our western world. The Bolivian fusion of people, colors and landscape is out of the ordinary and you will never find it again in another place.
If you would like further information please click on the links above.
You can also click on the links below to learn more about the most breathtaking places in Bolivia.
- Rurrenabque - the beautiful indigenous village with fantastic trips into the jungle and the pampas
- La Paz - the highest capital in the world surrounded by impressive volcanoes
- Lake Titicaca - the highest navigable lake of the world in an fantastic scenery of snow-capped Andean peaks, pretty island and tiny bays
- Parque Kempff Mercado - most isolated national park with best wildlife watching possibilities
- Santa Cruz - the wealthiest city of Bolivia in the tropics with many historical links to "Che Guevara"
- Cochabamba - the market capital of Bolivia with unique historical and archaeological sights
- Oruro - the mining town with the most colorful and imaginative carnival in Bolivia
- Potosi - the highest city of the world with an ancient wealth of colonial buildings and churches with an interesting silver mine to visit
- Sucre - the lovely colonial city, with European architecture and many historical sights to discover
- Salar de Uyuni - one of the must see attraction - the dry salt lake region with amazing lakes, flamingos and mountain chains. A landscape which even has inspired Salvador Dali to paint
- Southwest - impressive "witch" region with irreal, natural beauties like the red "Laguna Colorada", the green " Laguna Verde", volcanoes and geysire
- Tarija - the colonial city surrounded by snowcapped volcanoes in a picturesque valley